Today I am excited to write about a brand that I really enjoy: Stila! The only post I have on my blog about them so far is about the Heaven’s Hue Highlighter in Kitten, but I’ve used and enjoyed other products from them over the last few years. I love when companies come out with Holiday collections, because it gives me the chance to either stock up on things I already love from them, or try new things. That being said, today’s post is about two of the sets from the Stila Holiday 2017 release.
The Stila Holiday 2017 collection is currently available at Stila’s website, and you can get 20% off your order if you sign up for their email list. You can also purchase parts of the collection online at Ulta and Sephora, which almost always has a % back you can earn if you go through eBates (here’s my link if you want to sign up).
I got my items through Ulta because I was able to redeem some of my Ultamate Rewards points. 🙂 I ended up picking up the Written in the Stars Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow set, and the Play It Cool Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Set. Continue reading below for general info, my thoughts, product pictures, and swatches.
Written In The Stars Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Set
The first set I picked up is the Written in the Stars Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Set, which I was really excited for, as I have been eyeing these liquid shadows for a long time but just never got around to picking any of them up.
These glitter eyeshadows took over the beauty community for a while after they were released, and for good reason: Stila made it incredibly easy to apply a bit of extra sparkle to any look without needing any glitter glue or additional products. (A side note and a tip on that later.) If you look up reviews online at Ulta or Sephora, you’ll find that they are overwhelmingly positive.
For $25.00 USD, you receive three deluxe sizes (3x 0.07 fl oz / 2 mL) of some of the more popular shades:
- Diamond Dust – sheer silver and multicolor glitter
- Kitten Karma – champagne, silver and copper glitter
- Smoky Storm – light pewter and silver glitter
This is an awesome little set because a single full-sized liquid eye shadow would cost $25 on its own. (Full sizes contain 0.15 fl oz / 4.5 mL each.)
Stila is a cruelty-free brand! At this time there is not a definitive list of what products are vegan, but it is in the works–Stila is checking in with their suppliers, which can take a few months, according to Tashina Combs of Logical Harmony.
In the meantime while they are putting together that list, you can check the ingredients of each item individually if you have any concerns about the presence of any specific ingredients.
Diamond Dust: Water/Aqua/Eau, Mica (CI 77019), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Aluminum Calcium Sodium Silicate, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Silica, Carbomer, Sorbitan Isostearate, Tin Oxide, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
Kitten Karma: Water/Aqua/Eau, Mica (CI 77019), Aluminum Calcium Sodium Silicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polysorbate 60, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Silica, Carbomer, Sorbitan Isostearate, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
Smoky Storm: Water/Aqua/Eau, Mica (CI 77019), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Aluminum Calcium Sodium Silicate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polysorbate 60, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Sorbitan Isostearate, Hexylene Glycol, Silica, Tin Oxide. May Contain Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
The applicator is like a doe-foot, but flat. You could easily go ahead and apply straight from the applicator, but I prefer to either use my ring finger or a flat synthetic brush to gently press it onto the lid.
According to Stila, these can be worn alone, or over eyeshadow. I don’t wear them alone, though–I would suggest putting down a primer and doing your eye look with all of your shadows, and then apply these after you are done with all of your blending. You will experience fall out if you try to blend after the glitter shadows are applied.
Another thing to note is that the shadows may fall throughout the day and end up on your cheeks. One way to avoid that is to use a little bit of glitter glue on the lid (such as NYX Glitter Glue), and then pat these on top of the Glitter Glue. I know that it’s an extra step, but it will help provide that additional bit of hold so you don’t have glitter everywhere after a few hours.
From L to R: Diamond Dust, Kitten Karma, Smoky Storm
Swatches are on bare skin, indirect natural light, no flash. One swipe.
- Diamond Dust has a rainbow glitter in a clear base, so it can go over literally any color of eyeshadow you want. This is the most versatile of the three shades because of that.
- Kitten Karma appears to have a more rose-gold base, with flecks of champagne and copper glitter throughout. Beautiful with warmer eye looks.
- Smoky Storm has a taupe base and silver glitter. This is my second favorite because I am partial to cooler toned shadows, and taupe always looks good… always.
Play It Cool Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick
The other set I got was the Play It Cool Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick set. For $20.00 USD, you receive three deluxe sizes (3x 0.05 fl oz / 1.5 mL) of three “cool toned” Stay All Day liquid lipsticks:
- Baci – nude pink (looks more like a grey mauve after dry-down)
- Patina – dusty rose (looks brighter in tube but dries down to dusty rose shade)
- Dacca – raspberry (accurate description)
This is also a great little set because one full-size Stila liquid lipstick would cost $22 on its own, with 0.10 fl oz / 3 mL of product.
Ingredients below of each shade for reference:
Baci: Isododecane, Mica, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutene, Petrolatum, Cyclohexasiloxane, Kaolin, Barium Sulfate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D¿abeille, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Flavor/Aroma, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadiote, Propylene Carbonate, Rosin/Colophonium/Colophane, Aluminum Hydroxide, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tocopherol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Benzyl Alcohol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090).
Patina: Isododecane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutene, Mica, Petrolatum, Cyclohexasiloxane, Kaolin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D’abeille, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Barium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Flavor/Aroma, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadiote, Propylene Carbonate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tocopherol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Rosin/Colophonium/Colophane, Benzyl Alcohol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 21 Lake (CI 45380), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).
Bacca: Isododecane, Mica, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutene, Barium Sulfate, Petrolatum, Cyclohexasiloxane, Kaolin, Aluminum Hydroxide, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D¿abeille, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Flavor/Aroma, Rosin/Colophonium/Colophane, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadiote, Propylene Carbonate, Aluminum Benzoate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tocopherol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Benzyl Alcohol. May Contain: Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090).
This has a nice little doe-foot applicator, but I rarely apply straight from the tube. I usually will line with a lip pencil first, and then I will take a lip brush to apply the lipstick. Using a lip brush helps me build a really nice shape with clean lines, and it keeps me from applying too much product at once–the brush lets me have nice, thin, even layers.
One thing to note: with Stila’s formula, you really need to be sure that your lips are properly exfoliated and that you have prepped them ahead of time, otherwise it can enhance any dryness/flakiness your lips may have.
From L to R: Baci, Patina, Bacca
Swatches are on bare skin, indirect natural light, no flash. All single swipe.
- Baci is the most cool-toned of the three, and leans more grey mauve, a bit like Pantone’s Mellow Mauve 17-1612. This appeared in a Holiday 2016 set as well, so now I have two of them–but that’s okay because this is one of my favorite Stila liquid lipstick shades.
- Patina looks like a brighter, pinker shade fresh out of the tube but dries down into the “dusty rose” it is described to be, like a slightly lighter version of Pantone’s Marsala 18-1438. I like to mix this with Baci.
- Bacca is described pretty accurately as a raspberry shade, and wasn’t quite as full of coverage on one swipe as the other two. Once built to full coverage it is a very pretty shade and perfect for the holiday season.
- I definitely recommend these. Great price point, good amount of product, they can make a good gift for yourself, or you can break up sets like these to make fun stocking stuffers for friends and family who like makeup.
- The Glitter & Glow liquid eye shadow colors selected are incredibly versatile, and as I have said before, the size is just about perfect. I can see the “everyday” consumer being able to really get a lot of use out of these by incorporating them into their makeup collection.
- For the Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadows, use a glitter glue to help the glitter adhere for even longer wear and less fall out through the day.
- I love the Stay All Day liquid lipsticks because I find that they are very long-wearing and I rarely, if ever, feel like I need to touch them up. They are lightweight and generally are full-coverage on first application.
- I got a Holiday 2016 set last year which I also love (it had Baci, Ricco, and Beso), and I really like the size of these liquid lipsticks–it’s hard for me to use up a full-sized lipstick, so I feel like there is less waste with smaller sizes like these.
- For the Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks, make sure your lips are exfoliated and well-prepped in order to ensure best application possible.
- Releasing these so early into the Holiday 2017 season was a smart move, because the holidays are a time when a lot of looks could benefit from a bit of extra glitter — costumes, holiday parties, New Years, and so forth.
- If you are looking for an introduction to some of Stila’s color cosmetics, this collection is great. The Holiday 2017 sets are priced really fairly, and there are some other sets of different color combinations or even larger sets available, so this is a great time to explore what Stila has to offer without breaking the bank.